If you’ve identified that you need to go for a career change, you’re probably nervous about how to go about doing it. Here are some things that you can do to make the career change process less stressful and more successful.
1) Engage in self-help exercises and skill evaluations to help you determine what new careers might be a better fit than your current field of work.
2) Read about the field you’re interested in joining. If you know people already in this field, you can ask them directly about their experiences and what advice they have.
3) Look for volunteer and freelance opportunities. Ideally, you’ll want to get some experience in your new field before leaving your current field, and freelance or volunteer options are a great way to do this.
4) Try to develop skills that will transfer. If you have an opportunity to hone skills in your current field that will help you in your new career, definitely take advantage of them. They’ll help make the transition as smooth as possible.
5) Shadow people in the field. Being able to gain some first-hand exposure to a field you intend to enter can be a huge help in determining whether it’s really the right fit for you or not.