A strong team stands at the foundation of any successful company. Building a focused, task-efficient team is not always an easy feat, however. Both the team members and the company need to make sure certain conditions are met, some of which we will discuss in this post:
1. Clear objectives – every team needs to have a purpose. The team members must be aware of what their goals are, and what the leaderships’ expectations of them are. They must also understand the importance of their work for the success of the company.
2. Leadership must ensure that the team consists of highly committed members. The team members must be encouraged and their efforts recognized, and they need to perceive and understand their importance within the firm. Additionally, they need to see that the firm is investing in their professional development, which reflects on one side that they have a future within the company, and on the other side that they are valued assets.
3. Team cohesion should be encouraged. The team members must understand they need to work as a team, and need to understand their roles and responsibilities within the team. Today’s educational systems do not promote collaboration, but competition. This is why the leadership needs to help employees change their mindsets to a collaborative one.
4. Team communication needs to be very good. Communication is essential to the success of a team. Priority of tasks, goals, feedback – these types of information should be available to the team members at all times.
5. Accountability – team members should take responsibility for the achievements and failures of the team. This should make them feel more motivated to reach their targets. Instead of shifting the blame, they need to focus on solving any issues encountered. However, there should also exist a system which recognizes both the team’s and individual performance. This should help individuals feel less frustrated if they feel they are putting in more work than their team mates.
Ensuring that these 5 conditions are met can help you create a more efficient team. However, there are many other things you should keep in mind when building a successful team. The secret is to find committed employees and keep them that way.